Why My Kid Has an iPod

June 11, 2014

Jonathan and I decided to take a walk.  We put Georgia in her stroller, handed her her iPod (an iPod touch so she thinks it's the same thing as our phones), and set off down the street.  Our (65+) neighbor stopped us and asked what Georgia had in her hand.  We told her and she said, "Oh, she needs to be looking at the trees instead!"  I was a bit offended.


Yes, I do agree children should spend LOTS of time outside not in front of a screen.  I totally get that.  Georgia gets only two 30 minutes shows when she wakes up in the morning while she eats her breakfast and two 30 minute shows after she wakes up from her nap while she eats her snack.  That is it.  And, she spends a lot of that time cuddling with me or running around and playing.  She isn't glued to the TV the whole time.

Instead of watching TV she plays outside, dressed up, goes on "runs", practices on her "school work", roller skates, runs in the sprinkler, paints and colors, plays with stickers, plays school and house, pretends she's a pirate, works on her puzzles or dominoes, feeds Perry (our dog), helps put away her laundry, plays the piano, has play dates with our neighbor, dances a lot, we go to the park, dig in the dirt, water the plants, play with our chalkboard/dry erase board or sidewalk chalk, builds with her Lego's or blocks...see what I'm getting at?  We are NOT glued to a screen all day.  



By the end of the day this momma is TIRED.  And, my sweet husband comes home and gets started on dinner straight away.  We eat dinner at the table with the TV off and talk about our day but we don't get a lot of words in between Miss Priss and that is fine.  I enjoy hearing her pray at meal times and listening to her discuss her day.

But, you know what?  I need time to talk to MY husband.  So, if I want to go on a walk with my husband (something we can't do while she's sleeping) and give my chatty cathy and iPod so she'll be quiet for 15-20 minutes then I think that is fine.  Obviously she doesn't know me or how I spend my days with Georgia.  I'm not tooting my own horn or saying I'm some type of super parent but it's just my style to not have the TV on all the time and Georgia doesn't get the iPod/iPad in the house.  Only the car or stroller.  That's just how I am.

So neighbor of mine, my daughter does spend A LOT of her time looking at trees...and bugs, and clouds, and flowers, and grass, and rocks for that matter.  She LOVES to be outside but momma and daddy need time to relax too.  Taking care of a three year old all day keeps me on my toes.  Especially because we're practicing our letters and dancing with ribbon sticks NOT laying on the couch all day watching TV.  So yeah, she gets her iPod on a few nightly walks and I really enjoy it.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Ugh, it makes me crazy when other people feel the need to correct my parenting decisions. I hope she reads this (if she can find time between all that tree watching).

Natalie said...

She obviously doesn't read your blog! You are amazing at keeping your daughter busy and active without screen time :)

Alycia said...

UGH! Drives me crazy when people "offer" their advice to you and they don't even have a clue!!! You're doing a wonderful job!!!

Alycia//Crazily Normal

Ryan V. said...

yes, yes, and yes! We give Avery our phone when we are out at dinner so that she will sit still for more than 10 min and we can eat a meal without scarfing it or having her stand in her chair and do crazy things! And I have gotten "the look" from older people like "why is she on that phone!?" It is my time to talk to my husband for 15-20 minutes! PS, you are an awesome mom and more hands on with crafts/activities than a lot of other people I see these days! Good for you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS